ACO Cobourg & East Northumberland’s sesquicentennial project titled “Celebrating 150 years: discovering Cobourg’s heritage” saw the installation of 280 signs marking buildings that were standing in 1867 within the limits of modern-day Cobourg.
ACO Cobourg & East Northumberland is grateful to the Town of Cobourg for the grant which contributed substantially to the project.
This list of buildings is the legacy of ACO’s Canada 150 celebration. We hope it will inspire more people to uncover the history of Cobourg’s built heritage. It is not complete. We know that more “1867” buildings are still standing, disguised by the changes made to them over time.
The buildings were identified by using the town’s Heritage Registers which are available on its website. Another source of information was the nine volumes of research done for the Local Architectural Conservation Advisory Committee (LACAC) in the 1980s-90s located in Cobourg Public Library’s History Room. Rob Mikel, author of Cobourg: The Spirit of the Place (Lighthouse Press, 2017) answered many questions as they arose. Suzanne Séguin, publisher of Mikel’s book, provided our initial list of “1867” properties.
The other source of information about the town’s buildings was the owners, themselves. This interest shown by Cobourg’s citizens is a good measure of how successfully we achieved these intended outcomes:
- Community pride in discovering the wealth of heritage resources in Cobourg
- Individual pride in being a steward of a building that was standing in 1867
- Increased awareness of the material culture of Cobourg
Chair, ACO’s Canada 150 Project
87 Albert St - 1850s
90 Albert St - 1850s.
93 Albert St - 1860s
94 Albert St - 1850s.
98-100 Albert St - 1850s.
99-101 Albert St - 1850s.
109 Albert St - 1840s. This house has a particularly fine doorcase.
127 Albert St - 1850. Built by Thomas Floyd
219 Albert St - 1820s. Oral histories give this early date to a cottage that was probably built in the 1870s for the Halliday family and reputedly moved from Tweed St or Ball Lane to this site in the late 1800s.
235 Albert St - pre-1850s. Renovation work carried out over the last forty years suggests an even earlier date.
112 Anne St - 1860. Built for Gervas Holmes
129 Anne St - 1865. Built for the Rev. Robert Carson
130 Anne St - 1855. Elm Cottage, built for the Rev. Isaac Aylesworth
93 Bagot St - 1850. Originally a one-storey cottage built by Frederick Jex, sailor
100 Bagot St - 1853. Built by Henry Hoskins, bricklayer, with a later addition to the north
106 Bagot St - 1850. Built for William Floyd.
209 Bagot St - 1850s
215 Bagot St - 1848. Built by Hugh Crossen
251 Ball St - 1840s. Built by William Battell
252 Ball St - 1850s. Built by James Canavon
260 Ball St - 1850s.
326 Ball St - 1840s. Built by George Ball
303 Ball St - 1853. Several additions have been added onto the original building; the resulting building being unified with cladding.
333 Ball St - 1840s
138 Ball’s Lane - 1858. Built by the Mutton family
142 Ball’s Lane. Built by George Ball
165 Bay St - 1850s
195 Bay St - 1858
224 Bay St - 1852. Built by Edward Farry, carpenter
170-172 Blake St - 1840. Thomas Burke House
355 Bond St - 1850s
359 Bond St - 1850s
361 Bond St - 1830s
BROOK ROAD SOUTH
9 Brook Road S - 1857. Built for Herbert Caddy, land surveyor. It was variously known as Willowbrook or Brook House.
33 Brook Road S - 1850s. Built as the coachhouse for Sidbrook at 411 King St E.
26/28 Buchanan St - 1850s
37 Buchanan St - pre-1858
44 Buchanan St
21 Buck St - 1860
27 Buck St - 1850
35 Buck St - 1865
40 Buck St - 1835. Built for Elijah Buck, this house was much altered when a second storey and brick cladding was added in the early 1900s.
10 Chapel St - 1850. Built by Richard Pomeroy, a local merchant
19-21 Chapel St - 1840
53 Chapel St - 1858
57 Chapel St
60 Chapel St - 1860s
129 Chapel St - 1850s
165 Chapel St - 1865
182 Chapel St - 1856
255 College St - 1865
265 College St - 1860
273 College St - 1820s-40s. The original cottage was a single-story dwelling. It was enlarged with the addition of the north wing moved in the 1860s from elsewhere in Cobourg, and a second story was added to the cottage in the early 1900s.
284 College St - 1850. York Cottage
306 College St - 1856. Lazarus Payne House. His business operated out of 326 Division St.
348 College St - 1860. Arthur Macdonald House
354 College St - 1840. Built for Henry Hough, founder of the Cobourg World newspaper.
359 College St - 1850s
360 College St - 1853. Built for Charles Elliott.
365 College St - 1860. Built for John Greenwood.
377-79 College St - 1865
380 College St - 1850s
228-330 Cottesmore Ave - 1856. Known as Sunnyside.
365 Cottesmore Ave - 1860s
50 Covert St
320 D’Arcy St - 1850. Powell House
344 D’Arcy St - 1840s
372 D’Arcy St - 1861-62. The oral history suggests that this was originally a farm house on a large lot that has been severed over the years.
284 Division St - 1852. Built as the Wesleyan Methodist Church and associated with Egerton Ryerson, now Trinity United Church. Retains its original spire.
264 Division St - 1860s. Built for W.C. Clench, cabinet-maker. The lion’s heads on the façade were taken from Faraday Hall, now demolished.
297 Division St - 1842. Built for Dr. James Gilchrist as his house and office.
318/322/324 Division St - 1846. Built by John Fletcher, with early square beam construction.
319 Division St - 1865. The three gables were added in the 1870s.
326 Division St - 1850s. Built by William Grieve for Lazarus Payne, merchant.
334 Division St - 1840. McCarty House.
345-351 Division St - 1845. Campbell Terrace.
346-56 Division St - 1855. Built as workers’ housing.
359 Division St - 1845. Built by William Grieve, it still retains its original clapboard siding.
364 Division St
382 Division St - 1860s.
420 Division - 1833. Built by Ebenezer Perry. The 2nd-storey and side-wings were added later. Now the Woodlawn Inn. 420 Division - 1833.
128 Durham St - 1832. Lakehurst
ELGIN STREET EAST
647 Elgin St E
167 Forth St - 1857
194 Forth St - 1845
182 Furnace St - 1852. The original building is much altered and added onto.
262 George St - pre-1858. Now covered in stucco, this is one of Cobourg’s older houses.
293 George St - 1850s. Moved to this location.
326 George St - 1840. William Henderson House.
363 George St - 1857. Built for John Cullingford, pharmacist.
364 George St - 1857. Built by Thomas Dumble, known as Dromore.
393 George St - 1850s. Original building on right was built for Richard Polkinghorn.
423 George St - 1856.
429 George St - 1860s.
430 George St - 1855. Built as the manager’s house and office for Calcutt’s brewery.
452 George St - 1860. Built for Andrew Argue.
94 Green St - 1844
127 Green St - 1836
174 Green St - 1842. Built as a parochial school, the second storey and back wing were
added after 1906 when it became a private residence.
217 Green St - 1840s
33 Havelock St - 1860. The wooden label over the window in the gable is a visible hint at the age of this building.
50 Havelock St - 1855. Built for R D Chatterton, first editor of the Cobourg Star
97 Havelock St - 1860. The gable addition, roofing material and cladding obscure the age of this cottage.
105 Havelock St - 1850
104 Havelock St - 1865
130 Henry St - 1850s. Built by Richard Niles.
245 Henry St - 1858. Converted to single dwelling in 1998 with an addition at the rear.
248 Henry St - 1860. Built by Joseph Dock, blacksmith.
251 Henry St - 1830s.
276 Henry St - 1866
286 Henry St - 1840. Built by Edward Tinney, local carpenter. The 1840 date on the Heritage plaque is at odds with the date in the heritage register as 1880s.
308 Henry St - 1855. Built for the Rev Walton Beck, the 3 gables were added in the 1870s.
332 Henry St - 1859 . Built by merchant Andrew Hewson.
348 Henry St - 1859. Built for Austin Striker.
394 Henry St - 1858. Built for Robert Gummow, merchant.
158 Hibernia St - 1856. Built for Robert DeLany
168 Hibernia St - 1850s
JAMES ST EAST & WEST
9 James St E - 1850s
10 James St E - 1850s
13 James St E - 1866. Oral history says that this building was originally attached to a neighbouring property and moved to this site circa 1882.
42 James St E - 1850s
47 James St E - 1850s
48 James St E - 1860s
51 James St E - 1850s
56 James St E
62 James St E - 1850s
66 James St E
104 James St E - 1865. Built by John Fetherstone, painter
128 James St E - 1856. Built by John Bolster
15/17 James St W - 1850s
38 James St W - 1859
50 James St W - 1862
100 James St W
104 James St W
107 James St W - 1860
308-310 John St - 1860s
351-353 John St - 1860s. Built by John Hopper as rental units
326 John St - 1860s. Built by John Higgin, clerk
362 John St - 1860s. Built by John Tinny
370 John St - 1860s. Built for the Reynolds family
380 John St - 1865
411 John St - 1857. Built for William Hitchens
KING ST EAST
9-11 King St E - 1832. Perry Block
14-16 King St E - 1865
25 King St E - pre-1848
35 King St E - 1835. Built as residence for William Gravely, now used as a commercial building.
37-45 King St E - 1844. Boswell Block/Boulton
68 King St E - 1840. Built for the Bethune family. Now much changed with the addition of the cobblestone in the early 20th century..
136 King St E
170 King St E - 1848
173 King St E - 1848
188 King St E - 1850s
198 King St E - 1860
272 King St E - 1840. The Maples, built by Mayor David Campbell
411 King St E - 1857. Known as Sidbrook, built for Henry Mason, a director of Cobourg Railway. The architect was Kivas Tully.
444 King St E - 1835. Built by the Wright brothers.
240 College St - 1844-51. St. Peter’s Anglican Church. The architects were Henry Bowyer Lane and Kivas Tully.
KING ST WEST
2 King St W - 1844. Scott Block
5-7-9 King St W - 1840s. The original stone structure can be seen on the west wall.
32-34 King St W - 1855
36-38 King St W - 1856. Pringle Block
40-50 King St W - 1844. Covert Block, Boyer Block & Field Block
55 King St W - 1856 - Victoria Hall, architect Kivas Tully.
73 King St W - 1857. Horton House
84 King St W - 1855. Retallick Building
101 King St W - 1850
134 King St W - 1848. Greek revival style residence built for F. S. Clench, cabinet-maker, known as The Chestnuts. Features of the original building can still be glimpsed.
150 King St W - 1853
167 King St W - 1839. Original frame dwelling is much changed by several later additions.
171 King St W - 1852. Built by Henry Evans, carpenter.
177 King St W - 1853
180 King St W - 1866
181 King St W - 1857. Horton House
187 King St W - 1850s. Built for Henry Covert.
212 King St W - 1848. Reputedly the birthplace of Marie Dressler, the Oscar winning film star.
216 King St W - 1850. Dickinson Cottage, home of the choir master and organist.
230 King St W - 1844. Hazelmeade, originally built as a single-story cottage.
266 King St W - 1848-58
276 King St W - 1857
295 King St W - 1844. Built by Alexander Sutherland, and home for many years to the Delanty family.
303 King St W - 1858. Built by Alexander Cook.
309 King St W - 1854. Built by James Vair.
317 King St W - 1853
318 King St W - 1850s. Built by Edward Hales.
323 King St W - 1847. The original Field home bought by John Field.
326 King St W - 1850s
327 King St W - 1840. Birthplace and boyhood home of Fr. Francis Duffy, WWI Chaplain in the U.S. Armed Forces.
340 King St W - 1850s.
341 King St W - 1850s. Built by Joseph Sutherland.
376-378 King St W - 1863
250 Mathew St - 1835
258 Mathew St - 1840. One of the few ‘salt-box’ style houses (usually associated with New England) in Cobourg.
241/243 McGill - 1840s. Built by Zeb Sisson, now divided into four apartments.
445 Monk St - 1844. Built for Winkworth Tremaine, known as The Hill, it became home to William Weller the stage-coach operator and later in the 1800s to the widow of U.S Civil War General Ulysses S. Grant.
132 Ontario St - 1862. Built by George Goodeve, insurance agent.
163 Ontario St - 1844
181 Ontario St - 1844. Originally built as a one-storey cottage by the Burnet Brothers.
364 Ontario St - 1860. Built by Matthew Williams.
390 Ontario St - 1844. Built by Matthew Andrew, carpenter. Later, home to William Brown, operator of a coal and wood yard. Evidence of this business has been uncovered in the course of building work on the property.
460 Ontario St - 1839. Built by James Lauder.
371 Ontario St - 1866.
990 Ontario St - 1850s. This brick building, built by Ebenezer Perry as a grist-mill, now functions as a restaurant.
1000 Ontario St
1010 Ontario St
73 Orange St - 1865
85 Orange St - 1850s
92 Orange St - 1860s
98 Orange St - 1860s
112 Orange St
144 Orr St - 1850s
141 Orr St - c.1810. Built for an unknown purpose, locally known as the Barracks, it is now part of the Sifton-Cook Heritage Centre.
141 Orr St - 1850s. Cottage moved to this site from Ontario St to become part of the Heritage Centre.
16 Park St - 1850s
218/220 Perry St - 1852. Built by Edward Ely.
230 Perry St - 1860s. Built by D’Arcy Boulton owner of The Lawn for use by his staff.
234 Perry St - 1860s. Built by D’Arcy Boulton owner of The Lawn for use by his staff.
240 Perry St - 1860s. Built by D’Arcy Boulton owner of The Lawn for use by his staff.
195 Queen St - 1854. Known as Glebe Lawn, built by Dr. James Auston on Anglican church land.
221 Queen St - 1865. Built by John Churchill. The door-case was re-purposed from a neighbouring house demolished in the 1960s.
201 Second St - 1850 Farmers’ Market.
SPENCER ST EAST & WEST
18 Spencer St E - 1827. Known as The Poplars, built for the first Sheriff of Northumberland, John Spencer.
18 Spencer St W
19/21 Spencer St W
30 Spencer St W
261 Spring St - 1850s. Built by William Battell.
324 Spring St - 1850s. Built by William McKnight.
331-333 Spring St - 1850. Built by John Fowler, boot and shoe-maker.
335 Spring St - 1850s. Built by Charles Perry.
16 Swayne St - pre-1840s.
26 Swayne St - 1840s
30 Swayne St - 1860s
44 Swayne St - 1860s
173 Sydenham St - 1850s. This house was possibly a frame building that was bricked over in the late 19th century.
205 Third St - 1844. Originally known as the St. Lawrence Hotel.
118 Tremaine St - 1847
121 Tremaine St - 1850s
134 Tremaine St - 1850s. Built by Lorenzo Green.
147 Tremaine St - 1850s
173 Tremaine St - 1844. Known as Mount Fortune, used as an Officers’ Mess during the Fenian raids in 1866.
193 Tremaine St - 1850s
201 Tremaine St - 1860s. Built by William Jex whose family firm became a prominent company in the 20th century.
290 Tweed St - 1850s
300 Tweed St - 1847. Built by John Holman.
330 Tweed St - 1846. Built by John Doyle.
336 Tweed St - 1856
UNIVERSITY AVE EAST & WEST
100 University Ave E - 1836. Operated as Victoria College, until its merger with the University of Toronto in 1892. Architect was Edward Crane. It is now a private retirement residence.
28 University Ave W - 1850s
34 University Ave W - 1858
130 University Ave W - 1850s
148 University Ave W - 1850s
169 University Ave W - 1860s.
173 University Ave W - 1860. Built by John Pearse, carpenter.
187 University Ave W - 1856
214 University Ave W
216 University Ave W - 1852. Built by Joseph Woodward.
228 University Ave W - 1850s. Built by Samuel Angrove, local carpenter.
231 University Ave W - 1850s. Built by H. Leonard.
232 University Ave W - 1860s
234 University Ave W 1852. Built by Thomas Giddy and family.
237 University Ave W - 1857. Built by John Werne.
272 University Ave W - 1830s. Built by Andrew Jeffrey, operator of a hardware store at First Street and King. Jeffrey was Mayor of Cobourg in 1852.
363 Victoria St
434 Victoria St
443 Victoria St - 1850s.
262 Walton St - 1850. Built by in the fashionable Regency style, it was probably given as a wedding present to Georgiana Boulton on her marriage to Walton Beck.
282 William St - 1840s. Built by William Burnet as a rental property.
288 William St - 1840s
351 William St - 1844. Built for Peter McCallum a prominent merchant
360 William St - 1860. Recently this house was enlarged and converted into a duplex.
370 William St - 1860s
458 William St - 1842. Built for Jacob Corrigal a retired Chief Factor of the Hudson’s Bay Co. He is buried in St. Peter’s Church yard in a splendid monument.